Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Let it Snow!

Dear Delilah,

This year, for the first time since I was a child myself, I can't wait for the first snowfall. The local weather people are predicting that today could be the day. So far, all we've got is some cold drizzle, but I keep peeking out the window in anticipation, hoping to see some sparkling white flakes drifting down. Why would someone who otherwise disdains winter and all that comes with it be so excited for the snow to the fly? Well, that someone is now a mother, and the joy of watching you discover your world far outweighs the annoyance of snow and the bitter chill of the impending winter.

Last winter, you weren't yet walking, and weren't able to do much more than roll around a bit in the snow. Still, even though you couldn't do much playing in the snow, your appreciation for its beauty was evident, and inspired in me an awe that I never could have imagined that I'd recapture. This year, there will be snow people, there will be angels, and there will be snow ball fights. There will be cuddling by the fireplace sipping hot cocoa to warm up after an afternoon spent outside surrounded by fluffy white magic.

You are as ready as can be. Daddy took you shopping for a properly fitting coat and snow pants. You can now walk, crawl, climb, and throw. You love being outside, just wandering and exploring the yard, and with a blanket of snow over it, there will be even more to discover and enjoy.

I have looked back nostalgically on some of your firsts. I now realize that there will always be firsts to celebrate, and new ways of looking at the same old things. As I write this, the big orange city trucks are making their way down our block, sucking up the last of the leaves piled on the boulevard. Before long, the boulevard will be piled up with dirty plowed snow, our cars will be covered in a layer of salt and sand impossible to wipe clean until spring, and thanks to our beloved Sadie, our white yard will be littered with flecks of yellow and brown. But the first snowfall, that first beautiful, clean, fluffy, pristine snowfall comes first, and I can't wait to share it with you.

Love,

Mama

If you like this blog, please vote for 
'Dear Delilah, Fine and Fair' on 
Babble's Top 50 Mom Blogs. 
I'm currently at # 45. 
Thanks for your support!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...