Tuesday, March 1, 2011

March of Kindness

Dear Delilah,

When I happened upon Codename: Mama's call for a March of Kindness, I knew right away that I wanted to do my best to join in the collective effort to perform one random act of kindness each day in March. Given how hectic our lives are right now, I felt a little overwhelmed by the prospect of making sure I had the opportunity to spread kindness to others every day. 

That's when I realized two things:

1-Small acts of kindness can be every bit as powerful as big ones.
2-I needn't look far for people needing kindness. They are all around me. They ARE me!

March of Kindness


That's right. I'm going to take a bit of a selfish route with the March of Kindness, and I'm going to direct most of my kind gestures to myself and to your father. We both work hard to maintain our life and home and to ensure a secure future for our family. We both deserve to be appreciated for that hard work.

Of course, being kind to myself (and my husband) isn't entirely selfish. Extending kindness to myself will serve to make me a more refreshed and well-rounded parent, wife, student, and person. Extending kindness to my husband will make him happier, which in turn makes me happier. (Okay, so that one's still on the selfish side.) I have no doubt that kind acts toward myself will inspire me to extend kindness to others.

My focus this month is to do something, anything, just a little bit above and beyond for myself and my husband each day. I look forward to see just how those effects ripple outward, beyond our marriage and family.

Love,

Mama

If you like this blog, and haven't done so lately, please vote for 'Dear Delilah, Fine and Fair' on 
Babble's Top 50 Mom Blogs. I'm currently at # 46. Thanks for your support!

4 comments:

  1. I don't think it's selfish at all - we are probably not kind enough to ourselves on a regular basis. I'm glad you're joining us, and I look forward to reading about how you feel at the end of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "They ARE me!" I like this very much. I think this is a fabulous idea. Creating positivity and peace at home will enrich your lives. It will be enjoyable to follow your experiences this month

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of turned up my nose at the idea of doing acts of kindness for myself when I first came across the idea - but I've come to realize exactly what you've said is true - and it's really just foolish to think it would be wrong or selfish to be kind to myself.

    And really - won't I want my children to be OK with being kind to themselves?

    I hope it is a wonderful month for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...